Monday, November 10, 2008

Hello transition. Please come in !



Obama: Mr. President, please explain what the Colombia Free Trade Agreement has to do with a decision to "bail out" the big three auto manufacturers?

Bush: Coffee and cars - people need em every day.

Obama: ug-huh..ok.. let's look at the financial relevance. Currently we export roughly $8.6 billion to Colombia, and import $9.4 billion. (mostly oil, spices,coffee, tea) A fairly even exchange, neutral to the GDP with no to little impact on the American work force. Passing a free trade agreement will likely increase exports, but not to the point of creating jobs. It's most material impact would be to sell off current excess inventory.

Bush: Ya! That's what I'm talkin' about!


Obama: ug-uhh but why use this particular agreement as a leverage for authorizing aid to one of America's largest industries. Help me with that connection. Help me see the logic. Please George, help me see the relevance.


Bush: Can't help you with the logic, Barack. But you'll soon learn that you can only work with what ya got. And this, is all I got..


Obama: OK. well what America will get without aid to the automotive industry is a catastrophic increase in job loss and unemployment costs if one or all three auto makers go down. 3 million jobs will be lost, translating to a significant hit in tax revenue and roughly $154 billion needed to support unemployment benefits and health care. Not to mention the further deterioration in housing and consumer spending. Does that make you nervous?


Bush: Nope. I'm outta here..


Obama: Right. But what about the legacy you'll leave, if the last thing you do in office is force passage of a Free Trade Agreement with a country that is murdering 1,000's of labor union members, brutally enforcing anti-labor, ignoring international standards for working conditions and trafficking drugs to America?


Bush: oh Barack...I am charmed by your energy and naivety. First of all the Colombia Free Trade thing won't be the last thing I do before I leave office. I'm fixin' to win the war in Iraq and find Bin Laden..we'll sniff him out and we'll deliver him.. I've got 60 days...that's more than enough time. And as for the brutal treatment of labor union members in Colombia, let me say this. I'm from Texas, I don't much like labor unions myself..those suckers should be happy they have a below minimum wage job...but how I feel is unimportant. Colombia needs to define its own democracy. Who am I to tell them how to treat their work force. Who am I to give the order to go in to a foreign country, occupy it, kill its citizens and try to force my ideals on their way of life...
Besides, I'm a Texas oil guy. My family has been friends with those Colombian oil/drug war lords for a long time. Loyalty. That means somethin', don't it?

Obama: Yes sir, it does. Loyalty is often associated with honor, commitment and honesty - which is why you're questioning its meaning. Thank you for the tour today, Mr President. My family and I look forward to returning to this fine house, soon.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home