Wednesday, October 29, 2008

He had me at "This is not a liberal America. This is not a conservative America. This is the United States of America."

There will be a lot of rhetoric and bantering over the next few days about Obama's 30 minute pre presidential state of the union, which aired 6 days before the election. Perfect ! Brilliant ! And by the way, eloquent.

If you are a staunch, even smart Republican you've got to admit that Obama's narration of the American story, the human depiction of our challenges, the importance of understanding and the promise of change - landed a tough punch, in the final round - with exquisite gentle, profound strength.

In my view this is what is so appealing about Barack Obama. He is a man who has the gift of humility, the conviction of his ideals, trust in his intellect and dependence on his character. He "connects" to individuals because he craves perspective. He seems to live outside himself. He listens.. he actively listens.

At a time when anxiety rules the day, at every level, and almost every hour, we need a sense of calm, a reason to hope, and a willingness to believe that the fight is worthy. I am drawn to Obama, not because I think he can do things for me, but because he has made me confident again, that I can do things for myself...even in a country that feels broken.

That is the power of Barack Obama.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home