Friday, November 7, 2008

Making our win personal ...

Still basking in the glow ... Yes. Well. Kind of.

What a great moment in our history... I am very grateful to be a part of the "Obama circle of repair, renewal and compassion". It is invigorating to feel the power of a civil liberty, passionately won.

I was born in 1959.. I "just" missed, but long for, the chaos of the 60's. As the youngest of 7 kids, and really close to 10 cousins..I lived with quite a bit of chaos in my own home, and in their homes. There were so many of us co mingling, that each of our parents- graciously provided "sleeping porches" with a bunch of bunk beds for us and our friends to rest. I vividly remember my brothers (2) ,sisters(4), and cousins/friends (can't keep count) caring about stuff. They, were stubborn, righteous and boisterously - caring about stuff.

What could be more beautiful? Completely un-choreographed, but melodic.

Irish Catholic. Growing up in a quaint little suburb of Chicago, my family (intended and extended) lived a life, day to day, as dysfunctional, well maybe slightly more - than each "behind closed doors dysfunctional life of our neighbors". Jews lived right next door to us. We were friendly with them, openly. What a scandal! Archie Bunker lived a few doors down. He was unhappily our plumber. We gave him a lot of work as we had 9 people cohabiting with 2 bathrooms...one of which was designated for my parents...which meant no entry for us(the 7 kids). So we probably paid his entire mortgage month to month - but then again we dined with the "Jews". So he was conflicted. My "best" friend's father, 3 doors down, was taken away one morning in a police van...for tax evasion... See ya! Unfortunately no hiding for this family...we were in the suburbs, remember...local newspapers ate this up!

Mafia lived on the corner! What a mystery ! The Panteleno's (inflection on the "s"). I was always told to take the wide turn when passing their house. But, while learning to ride my 2 wheeler, the wide turn proved too hard for me to navigate. With my erratic front tire, I ran over one (of 4) of the miniature poodle puppies, out for a walk that day with "Grandma Mafia" I Killed it ! My god ! My father was visibly shaken. Truthfully, he was scared - out of his wits... My oldest sister, she is lovely - entered the convent, then left the convent...Ughh can you imagine the scorn in the parish of St Giles! By this time, (she entered when I was 5, she left when I was 13) I was coming into my own, and caused nothing less than "hell" for my parents. Vociferous complaints about me flipping off (in a very lady like manner), all of the nuns who ridiculed me and my family, led to me being kicked out of the Catholic school. Forcing me into the "public" school! Can you imagine the shame !

All of this and so much more, for which I am eternally grateful. I am sure you can relate.

The point is .. We can prevail and even prosper through "junk".

No one I have met, to date, can claim a better childhood than my own...My family, gave me a safe, crazy, loving space. An appreciation for humor, a passion for fighting for what is right, and a confidence and energy to seek, recognize and embrace the stuff that matters.

I guess that is why I love Barack Obama. He reminds me of those feelings. A safe place in a chaotic neighborhood. My family taught me how to be comfortable in that neighborhood. Obama brought me back to it...

So all of this is good. I will gravitate to the good and not be afraid of the "junk" I have to pass through to get there...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home