Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I've said it before, should I say it again ?

Although worth watching, I don't feel I learned anything new tonight, regarding policy, records or proposals from either side. The differences in how each candidate will approach health care, taxation, financial stress and security resonated fairly well. But the message was not new.

I am at the point, however, that the cute digging gestures, and outright lies crossing the lips of McCain feel expected. Which is unfortunate, as it reduces my ability to listen fully to his rhetoric. When "complete transparency" into decisions made at the white house is promised, as it was tonight by McCain, I shut down. That "my friend" is ridiculous.

It also is unsettling to hear that I have suddenly become an investor in this bail out plan. It was said that the American taxpayers should be treated like investors. News flash - investors take on risk. They typically have the capacity to loose their investment. Didn't we just loose "a bunch" ? There is no empirical or anecdotal data that points directly and unequivocally to a "win fall" regarding the $700 billion bail out. That jury is out and will be, for quite some time. I guarantee you, the ROI will not exceed a break even point, and that point will be fluid. There are countless ways for the government to mask the pay back. Believe me, we as taxpayers won't ever know what portion of our tax dollar will fund this pay back. And when our taxes are raised do you really think the government will be sending us a bill that is clearly identified as
"Bail Out Remittance"?

Enough about that rage. It will not be quieted anytime soon.

The "zen" question, was an interesting close, but I was not impressed with either answer. Each candidate scuttled around the "What don't you know" portion and somewhat disjointedly moved to a message of gratitude and opportunity. The meat of that question lies in the second part, however "How will you learn it". A response to this question offers a window to a person's character. And a place where I perceive Obama to have missed a stunning opportunity. The greatest gift Obama has as a leader, is his unwavering commitment to and respect for comprehensive perspective. Obama is an idealist, and a pragmatist. He has a keen sense of fairness and a devotion to it. He is intolerant of gratuitous injustice and has a strong character record to support this. Obama should have revealed this tonight. The undecided voter needs a hook, something to cling to, even something to believe in. Taxes, health care, security, energy, global warming - these fall into the column of "Facts I need to know before I vote", but character, connectedness, passion, understanding - these fall into the column of "Things I believe In" A much more powerful and important distinction. Obama has a clear advantage here. He inspires, he embraces and he listens. He needs to show us more of this compassion. I've got the facts, now, I need the touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home